Saturday, June 14, 2008

National Service

It was minutes before the bus took off. Ken said goodbye to me first. I could see the strength he pulled so that tears would not stream down his face. I knew he was expecting us to give him a hug but i just couldn't. I was already at the verge of tears. So was my mum. Well, for my dad, I knew he was also sad but being him, no expression could be seen.
It was time to say goodbye and Ken walked towards the bus. My mum who could no longer withstand the urge of pouring out, turned her back against us and left after muttering a series of goodbyes. My dad said words like Bye and Take Care. It was understood that Ken nodded instead of answering because he feared he would spill. As for me, before he could say anything to me i left and all he could see was the back of me so that he would not know that i can no longer say i am not crying.
Why am i so sad that Ken left for NS? All my life all i hoped for was for him to stop disturbing me and stay as far as possible. Like all siblings we never knew the meaning of the word peace. There was never a day before NS that i would stop teasing him. Either laughing at the fool he would make of himself at the camp or i would make sure he felt scared enough about the time he would have to go by there. Even i couldn't answer that.
All i could say to Ken is good luck.


Hope this four leaf clover may bring
you all the luck you need.

No comments: